Product hazard assessments are critical in today's marketplace. Product stewards must routinely address the concerns of stakeholders as well as the process of assessing hazards, exposures, and risks.
This 4-hour asynchronous online education course provides an introduction to hazard assessment for chemical and non-chemical hazards and connects the approaches to the tools and methods presented in Professional Practices of Product Stewardship. This course also explores the distinction between hazard and risk and explains different types of risks (including health, safety, and environmental risks, regulatory compliance risks, and brand reputation risks). The course also focuses on how product ingredients and use determine the corresponding exposures for workers and consumers.
This course includes four interactive role-playing case studies in which our presenters portray a team of experts discussing potential hazards and assessment approaches for three different types of products as they move from ideation to market. The concepts covered are global in relevance and can be applied in various countries or markets.
The first case study involves planning the hazard assessments for the products. The second case study is a discussion of the testing options and approaches. In the third case study, presenters brainstorm and outline the potential exposures from the intended uses for these products. And finally, the fourth case study addresses the new and changed exposures and risks involved in repurposing these products for consumer uses.
- Analyze intended product uses, their component ingredients, and production processes to characterize potential exposures in the workplace and for end-users.
- Understand pre-market risk assessment methodologies and options and optimal approaches for products with different types of hazards.
- Analyze chemical and non-chemical hazards, describe the type of exposures corresponding to product production for workers and product usage for the end-users, and discuss with stakeholder groups the requirements for testing and regulatory obligations in different jurisdictions.
- Characterize potential risks related to products and explain these to internal stakeholders, external suppliers, and potential customers.
- Respond to suggested alternative uses and explain corresponding exposure changes and regulatory obligations to stakeholders.
- Introduction to Hazard Assessment in Product Stewardship
- Case Study 1 – New Product Hazard Review Meeting
- Case Study 2 - Product Testing Program Meeting
- Case Study 3 – Risk Mitigation Meeting
- Case Study 4 – Consumer Market Meeting
Contact Hours: 4 hours
Note that this course does not need to be taken in one four-hour sitting. Each module may take between 30 and 45 minutes to complete.
This course utilizes slides and audio from two Product Stewardship Society Webinars. The content has been repurposed and edited with the permission of and support by the original presenters: Denese Deeds (CIH, SDSRP, FAIHA), Robert DeMott (PhD, DABT), and Jon Hellerstein (CIH, CSP).